Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Little About Myself


Marriage changes your life; everything about it! It changes the way you think, the way you act, your perspective on everything, the way you make decisions, and even the way you relate to other people. Marrying that person does not just change your relationship with that person, it completely transforms every other relationship in your life also. Marriage is a shift in the universe that only those who have experienced it know what I am trying to describe. My purpose is to share, inform, enlighten, and maybe sometimes vent my experiences along this wonderfully frightening journey.


People are shocked when they find out I'm married. Maybe it's my age, I'm 24 folks, it's not like I'm fresh out of high school! Or maybe it's the fact that the culture of a married woman does not quite coincide with the culture of a senior in college who waits tables on weekends. It is hard to compartmentalize when the first year of marriage, in itself, is a full time job. But the truth is I am not just some young girl with naive visions of happily ever after. I knew I was making one of the most significant decisions of my life when I decided to marry my husband in January of this year. Of course I was obsessed with the idea of a perfect wedding with a stunning white dress and all the unbelievably fabulous perks that came with being a bride, I mean, I AM a woman! But the gravity of the decision I was making was never lost in the excitement.

People will say that it is not possible to have the perfect wedding. Well, they're wrong, we had the PERFECT wedding! Sure there were little things here and there that could have gone better. His aunt could have controlled her alcohol consumption at the reception a little better and not embarrassed us by giggling during the blessing. His grandmother could have decided on ANY other color for her elaborate dress instead of white!! And, of course, the reception could have lasted well into the night instead of ending early because we decided to have it on a Sunday in January. The point is NONE of that mattered to us because it was truly the happiest day of our lives; a perfect day.

So here I am, almost a year later, and full of experiences that I would love to share with anyone who is married, getting married, or eventually wants to get married. It is my hope that you will enjoy reading about the roller coaster that has been my first year and how both my husband and I made it out alive!

No comments: