Friday, August 6, 2010

Who Wants Some Weeds?

I find myself with a lot of down time during the week. I am only a part time bartender, my husband has the most ridiculous work schedule in existence, I live in East Nowhere, and I can only spend so many hours a day having a stare-down with my computer screen before I start to go cross-eyed. So, in order to allow my brain to recharge itself after a fun filled day of writer's block and too much caffeine, I plop myself down on my couch and look for new TV shows to watch. About six weeks ago I became fully hooked on Weeds. All five seasons were streaming live on Netflix and it took me all of about a month to watch the entire series. I come to find out, I finished just in time for the new season that's premiering on August 16th on Showtime. So here's what I'm gonna do. Once a week I'm going to offer my thoughts on the new episode. I've seen other bloggers do this about shows I really don't care about so I'm just going to start my own. So there! If you don't care about Weeds either 1) you've never watched it and I suggest you do immediately, 2) you're not part of what I consider my key demographic and you are excused from this post and all further posts on this topic (and thank you for your time) or 3) your taste in TV is awful and I don't like you

For those of you in the first group I'll provide you with a quick synopsis:

Nancy Botwin is a typical suburban housewife with two teenage
sons, Silas and Shane. Her husband died suddenly of a heart attack while jogging leaving Nancy to raise the kids alone in a big upper-middle class house in the cookie cutter town of Agrestic. Agrestic is one of those towns where everyone drives a Range Rover, has a maid, attends PTA meetings, and tries not to look racist. So what does Nancy do to maintain their current lifestyle? She starts selling weed to soccer moms and investment bankers. Over the course of the five seasons Nancy's life begins to spiral further and further out of her control as she tries to keep herself and her children out of harms way while living the life of a drug dealer. What starts as a small time, dime-bag-pushing means-to-an-end soon turns into the family business. Nancy ends up secretly married to a DEA agent after he discovers her profession so he won't be able to testify against her should she get caught. However, her DEA husband ends up getting killed by rival dealers after he has their grow house raided.  After Nancy indirectly burns the entire town of Agrestic to the ground she moves her family to a quiet beach town just north of the Mexican border. While managing a maternity clothing store that is a cover for an underground drug smuggling tunnel, Nancy meets Esteban, the drug kingpin/mayor of Tijuana. She becomes involved with him and eventually becomes pregnant. Nancy moves her family into Esteban's San Diego villa and they get married, although she does not entirely trust him and his political and illegal dealings.




So there is the recap in a very small nutshell. I'm extremely excited about the new season as I hope a lot of you are. So I will leave you with the trailer for Season 6 and I look forward to offering my thoughts. And hopefully some of you will offer yours as well.

Enjoy!

No comments: